We offer MiDAS (Minibus Drivers Awareness Scheme) to external organisations wishing to upskill their employees or volunteers, as well as to community groups who want to book our vehicles on a self-drive basis.
What is MiDAS?
A nationally recognised driving qualification designed to enhance minibus driving and promote the safer operation of minibuses. It applies to any organisation, whether you’re a small voluntary group with one vehicle or a local authority operating large vehicle fleets.
The course is split into two modules, both of which include training on theory, a practical workshop and a driving assessment:
- A Non Accessible module for all minibus drivers (1 day training course)
- An additional Accessible module covering the safe way to secure and transport wheelchair passengers (additional 1/2 day training course)
Driving licence requirements
You need to hold a D1 entitlement on your driving licence – usually, this will apply to anyone who passed their test before 1997 but you are responsible for checking this prior to booking the training.
You may be able to drive minibuses without a D1 entitlement under certain circumstances:
- Aged over 21 and held a full licence for 2 years
- Driving on a voluntary basis and only driving on behalf of a not-for-profit organisation
- Driving vehicles with a GVW of 3.5 tonnes (or 4.25 tonnes if driving a wheelchair accessible vehicle)
Please note that we do not currently own a vehicle under 4.25 tonnes and therefore are unable to offer training to non D1 licence holders unless you can supply your own vehicle.
|Organisation Type||Accessible MiDAS||Non Accessible MiDAS|
|Voluntary/Community organisation or charity||£150.00||£115.00|
|School or public sector organisation||£175.00||£150.00|
All costs quoted above are subject to VAT at the standard rate.
Costs for training will be invoiced upon booking.
Invoices must be paid prior to the training date.
Free Training for WRCC volunteers
If you undertake to carry out 2 voluntary drives per month for Back & 4th (in addition to any drives you undertake for your own organisation) we will provide you with free MiDAS training.
To find out more about booking MiDAS training, please call our Training team on 01789 471595.