The Government is committed to making the dream of home ownership a reality for everyone and we recognise that for many this simply feels out of reach. First Homes will be life-changing for people all over the country aspiring to take their first step onto the housing ladder, by providing new homes at a discount of at least 30 percent.
This consultation seeks views on First Homes for local people, considering both the design of this policy and options for its implementation.
It covers the following areas:
- what First Homes are and who should be eligible for them
- how the scheme should work in practice
- how to deliver more of these homes through developer contributions
- the requirement for delivering these homes through planning or legislation
What are First Homes?
• First Homes are flats and houses built on developments up and down the country. They will be no different from other properties except they will be sold with a discount of at least 30 percent.
• They will be sold to local people who want to stay in the community where they live or work but are struggling to purchase a home at market prices.
• They will be prioritised for first-time buyers, serving members and veterans of the Armed Forces, and key workers, such as nurses, police and teachers.
• The discount will be passed on to future buyers when First Homes are resold so more people can be helped onto the ladder.
How to respond:
Online: Respond online
Or write to:
First Homes scheme consultation
MHCLG – Home Ownership Division
3rd Floor, Fry Building
2 Marsham Street
London SW1P 4DF